DM/BW-089 – Farrenberg – 820m

February 14, 2015: 14:28 – 15:31 UTC

Rig: KX3, 10W, 2200mAh LiPo, Palm Pico Paddle
Ant: Dipole (20m) up 7m, J- Pole (15m)

11 CW QSOs on 15m, 4 CW QSOs on 20m.

A sunny afternoon, perfectly made for the first trip of this year.
The report is only availalbe in German – sri!

Ein herrlicher, sonniger Samstagnachmittag, wie gemacht für einen Ausflug zu einem der nahegelegenen Gipfel auf der Schwäbischen Alb. Die KX3 ‚Go-Box‘ wartete immer noch auf ihren ersten Einsatz. Das war eine gute Gelegenheit zu testen, ob sie ihren Zweck erfüllte.

Der Aufstieg vom Wanderparkplatz führte über gut markierte und ausgebaute Wege. Zu meiner großen Überraschung lag auf dem Gipfelplateau noch jede Menge Schnee, der das Segelfluggelände in eine herrliche Winterlandschaft verwandelt hatte.

Bis ich den Aussichtspunkt erreicht hatte, war die Sonne allerdings hinter Wolken verschwunden und es kam ein kühler Wind auf. So machte ich mich unverzüglich an den Aufbau der Antenne und rief auf 15m „CQ SOTA“.

Die CONDX waren gut und es gelang etwa ein Dutzend QSOs, das weiteste mit KW7D, der mein mickriges Signal aus dem Rauschen fischen konnte. Anschließend folgten noch einige QSOs auf 20m, aber dann wurde es höchste Zeit den Rückweg anzutreten.

Die KX3 ‚Go-Box‘ bestand den Test mit Bravour :o)

Vielen Dank für alle Anrufe und Spots! Es hat viel Spaß gemacht.

Advertisements

KX3 Go Box

Having played with the KX3 for a couple of weeks I wanted to try it outdoor. But Hiking comprises some risk for the rig: rain and snow, shock and vibration and scratches from other things in the rucksack. The first attempt with bubble wrap worked but was not to my full satisfaction. A box was needed!

I searched the web for availalbe solutions (which are quite a few) and found Tom’s great Go Box:  http://www.oe2atn.at/tom/gobox/ – the most professional one I found.

However, I had something different in mind: The box should look understated in order not to attract thieves on a long hike or a stay on a camping site. By accident I tripped over an empty first aid box. Slightly too big for the KX3 but apart from that very nice.

[edit]: From time to time while turning the dial, I noticed that VFO A seems to get stuck at a certain position. The frequency reading in the display „jumps“ back several 10 Hertz then moves on again and „jumps“ back. This can happen several times. Suddenly the failure disappears and the VFO works as intended.

When searching the web I found the following video from KC9W which describes exactly my situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COPj2skxWys

Checking the encoder inside my KX3 showed that it is already the new version.
(Link to ELECRAFT’s KX3 VFO Encoder FAQ)

An explanation for this behaviour could be excessive mechanical stress to the encoder. When inspecting the Go Box after opening, I found the foam in the lid slightly depressed at the position where the VFO A knob is located. It is possible that under such pressure the foam is no longer able to absorb external shock. Instead, pressure applied to the lid will be transferred directly to the encoder.
As a first measure I removed the foam from the lid (as can be seen in the picture below). In order to keep the KX3 in his position, I put a large piece of foam on top of it. If this temporary solutions works, I’ll have to think about something more professional…

go-box