January 2, 2021 13:10 – 14:30 UTC
My fourth activation of Herrenwald, but first winter activation.
Wx: Cloudy, approx. -3°C light winds
Walking time: 15 min. up, 10 min. down
Ascent/ descent: approx. 70 vertical metres
Condx were average with QSB on 20 and 30 metres. k = 1, SFI = 81
6 QSOs on 20m CW, 1 x DX
8 QSOs on 30m CW, 1 x S2S
16 QSOs on 40m CW
10 QSOs on 60m CW
Weight per QSO: 76.2g
– A real winter activation with 10 cm snow.
How to get there?
From the turn of the year, all peaks can be activated again. I started with the nearby and easy to access Herrenwald. I was surprised to find about 10 cm of snow there.
For quick activations without special requirements to the antenna performance I use the home made „Bandspringer“ antenna. If you already know that there are trees in the AZ, you can leave the squid pole at home. Instead, the antenna wire is lifted over a branch with the throwing bag. In most cases, you can easily reach a height of eight metres or even more. This is higher than with a short pole.
I started the activation with searching for S2S-QSOs. EA2IF/p was the only station I could hear and after waiting a couple of minutes I could happily write the contact in my log. The first S2S of the new year 🙂
After that I worked through the bands from 17 metres to 60 metres. It is amazing how reliable contacts with the East Coast can be made on the 20 metre band with a few watts and a piece of wire.
40 metres was a bit of a struggle because the RSGB AFS contest took place at that time. The band was more crowded and QRM was stonger than usual.
60 metres was again quite reliable and contributed a surprising number of contacts. I closed the log after 80 minutes with 40 QSOs and very cold fingers. Only one of my hand warmers could be started.
- The S2S- QSO with Guru, EA2IF/p made my day. I couldn’t hear any other activator.
- I need to be more brief during my winter activations. A total duration of one hour seems to be the limit. If it takes longer, I get really cold.
- The hand warmers I’m using are tricky to start. Two of them could only be started back home 😦
- Due to the low temperature, the battery of my mobile phone only lasts for a short time. In the future I have to bring a power bank.
- I need to be very careful not to turn the dial accidentially when wearing gloves. It happened at least twice during the activation.